Funny thing emotions. One minute you can be in the depths of despair and then, in an instant, you are propelled to Olympian heights. We will ignore the psychiatric diagnosis of manic-depressive. The gnawing fear expressed in social media a couple of days back among those favoring Russia was vanquished with the news that Russian missiles shellacked dozens of targets throughout Ukraine. And, the weird euphoria that had whipped the pro-Ukrainian west into frenzied joy quickly died out as the list of targets hit by Russia grew, along with the body count.
My favorite piece of commentary came courtesy of Bernhard at Moon of Alabama. He cleverly took a look backwards and recited the litany of dire predictions that Russia was on the cusp of an irreplaceable missile and ammunition deficit. Hilarious! (Be sure to read his entire piece.)
- 320 missiles in a day: Russia targets short-range ballistic missiles at Ukraine; what is the result? – WION – Mar 2, 2022
- Russia running short on guided missiles, firing indiscriminately – Ukraine – Jerusalem Post – March 17, 2022
- Russia Running Out of Precision Munitions in Ukraine War Pentagon Official – US News – Mar 24, 2022
- Russia running short of precision missiles, say western officials – Financial Times – Apr 29, 2022
- SCORCHED EARTH Now humiliated Putin is running out of MISSILES in desperate bid to defeat Ukraine, UK armed forces chief tells TalkTV – Sun – May 5, 2022
- Putin ‘running out of missiles’ amid claims quarter of Russian Army now lost – City A.M. – May 6, 2022
- Is Russia running out of missiles? US, Russia send mixed messages – Jerusalem Post – May 16, 2022
- Explainer: Is Russia Running Low on Missiles? – Moscow Times – May 17, 2022
- Has Russia Run Out of Precision-Guided Missiles? – SOFREP – May 23, 2022
- Russia ‘running out’ of precision weapons – UK Defense Journal – Jun 11, 2022
- Russia fires five-and-a-half ton Cold War-era missiles designed to destroy aircraft carriers at Ukrainian forces in the Donbas after running out of precision rockets, MoD says – Daily Mail – Jun 12, 2022
- Vladimir Putin running short of missiles as Russian forces turn to old weaponry stock – Mirror – Jul 8, 2022
- Putin left scratching head as Russia RUNS OUT of missiles to make ground attacks – Express – Jul 23, 2022
- Will Russia Run Out of Precision-Guided Munitions? – National Interest – Aug 11, 2022
- Russia Has Run Out of Long-Range Missiles to Terrorize Ukraine – !945 – Aug 20, 2022
- No more than 45% missiles that Russia had before the war remain Chief Directorate of Intelligence – Ukrainska Pravda – Aug 27, 2022
- Russia ‘running out of Iskander and Kalibr missiles’ – The New Voice of Ukraine / Yahoo – Aug 27, 2022
- Ukraine Situation Report: Kyiv Claims Russia Is Running Low On Missiles – The Drive – Aug 27, 2022
- Russian Federation will run out of shells, artillery and armoured vehicles by year end – Ukrainska Pravda – Aug 31, 2022
- Russia Might Run Out of Weapons, Ammunition By End of Year: Report – Newsweek – Aug 31, 2022
- Russia Is Running Out of Missiles. That’s Bad News for Ukraine – Defense Post – Sep 1, 2022
- Alexander Kovalenko: when Russia will critically run out of missiles – Odessa Journal – Sep 2, 2022
- Russia Resorting to Out of Date Missiles as Weapon Stocks Run Low: Ukraine – Newsweek – Sep 4, 2022
- Ukraine believes Russia has less than 50 hypersonic missiles left because it can’t get the chips needed to make more: report – Business Insider – Sep 6, 2022
- Out Of Missiles! Russia Is Left With ‘Limited Stock’ Of Hypersonic Weapons Due To Microchip Shortage – Ukraine – Eurasian Times – Sep 7, 2022
Russia made a point today of taking out intelligence, military and power stations throughout Ukraine. I will withhold judgement on whether the strikes turn out to be a temporary inconvenience or caused lasting destruction that will be difficult to repair. I am sure that one target–the Ukrainian intelligence facility (SBU) in Kiev–is toast. It appears that Russian avoided hitting it when all of its workers were present. But the work spaces and files of the Ukie spooks went up in smoke.
So why did Russia wait six months to unleash “hell” ? Maybe Moscow really was running short of missiles and waited until it was flush again to go after key targets in Ukraine. Maybe Putin still held out hope that reason would take control in Kiev and that a negotiated end to the conflict could be brokered. Maybe Russia held back from hitting these targets until now in order to avoid killing its own intelligence operatives that had infiltrated the Ukrainian military and intelligence organizations.
Regardless of the reason for the delay, today’s action left an indelible mark that disrupted the Western propaganda meme that Russia was on the ropes and headed for defeat. This was some serious muscle flexing and provided a stark contrast to the anemic Ukrainian offense that has counted the capture of acres of pasture and fields as a great military victory.
There is a ton of great video commentary on today’s events. I have taken the liberty of assembling them here for your easy viewing. First up, our friend Andrei Martyanov.
If you are not a regular viewer of Alexander Mercouris, you are missing out on sophisticated, incisive analysis.
Last, and certainly not least, the voluble Alex Christoforou
Ramzan Kadyrov weighed in with a visual reminder that Russia has not yet begun to fight. The Chechen Republic, once a terrorist battleground bedeviling Russia, is now firmly in Russia’s camp and sent a visual post card to Ukraine and the West that the storm is coming for the Nazi sympathizers (if you look carefully at the 28 second mark you will see that the Chechens are carrying the U.S. Javelin Anti Tank Guided Missile captured from the Ukrainians, thanks to the generosity of the United States taxpayers):
It appears that the Russian missile offensive is not finished. Air raid sirens continue to blare in Ukrainian cities west of the Dnieper River. We will know in a day or two whether Russia intends to keep the lights off in Ukraine.